The beginning of a new year is a good time to review your business practices and plan for the future. Are your Human Resource policies and practices current?
1. Is your Employee Handbook current?
Employment laws change frequently and your policies need to be updated. If you don’t have an Employee Handbook, you need one to document your policies and procedures so that employees know what is expected of them and so that you are consistent in how you handle situations.
2. Do you have an “at-will” employment statement?
Are you penalizing employees for not giving adequate notice when submitting resignation from employment?
3. Do you have policies preventing discrimination, harassment and retaliation?
Without written policies, complaint procedures and training, you may not have an “affirmative defense”
if a claim is filed against your company.
4. Is your Employment Application legally compliant?
Are you asking for protected information that could result in discrimination claims? What questions can you legally ask in order to make good hiring decisions? Is your application compliant with Louisiana’s new “Fair Chance”
5. Are you conducting background checks and/or drug screening once you make a job offer?
Are you complying with legal requirements in these areas? Have your policies been updated to cover medical marijuana
7. Do you have written job descriptions that can be used to manage job performance?
Do they include “essential job functions”
that meet the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act?
9. Are you making illegal payroll deductions for company equipment, etc.?
What kind of payroll deductions
can you legally make?
10. Do you provide your employees with paid time off?
If so, are you paying earned but unused leave upon termination of employment? Are you complying with State law on paid time off for jury duty
An HR professional can help business owners navigate these and other workplace challenges.
From hiring the right employees, running background checks, creating employee handbooks that include anti-harassment policies and procedures, and so much more, Next Level Solutions can work with you to provide the services that you need to run your business.
For more information about our accounting and human resource services, contact Next Level Solutions at firstname.lastname@example.org
or (225) 330-8347.